All things Geothermal
from the earth, a renewable energy source delivering heat and power 24 hours a day throughout the year. Nearly infinite, and available all over the world.
Powered by EGEC, this website is the main information hub for all the geothermal energy projects in Europe.
What is geothermal?
Geothermal energy is the heat stored beneath the Earth’s surface. It is an endless source of renewable energy, which is available all the time, every day, everywhere. It can be used for heating, cooling, hot water and electricity for countless uses in buildings, industry and agriculture. Geothermal energy is also a sustainable source of strategic minerals such as lithium, which is used to produce green batteries for electric mobility. This makes it the most versatile and reliable renewable energy source.
Benefits of Geothermal
- Available to meet consumers’ demand 24h a day, every day of the year
- Able to satisfy about 25% of European energy needs by 2030
- One of the cheapest renewables in the long-term, after an initial installation investment, the operating costs are very low and predictable
- A way to cut the EU’s greenhouse gas emissions
- A job creator
- Suitable for the energy transition of any sector, geothermal is the only renewable source that can contribute to the decarbonisation of the electricity, heating & cooling, and transport sectors all together!
Want to develop a geothermal project?
Check out the resources below!